How the Profession Is Organized in California
The California Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors (PELS) regulates the practice of engineering in the state of California.

Professional Engineer (PE):
The PE licensing process is the main focus of this topic. The PE name represents a high level of training, testing and experience. Being a PE offers you the full range of professional practice in California, including being able to bid for contracts and sell engineering and design services in the state.

California licenses Professional Engineers in the following engineering disciplines: Agricultural, Chemical, Civil, Control System, Electrical, Fire Protection, Industrial, Mechanical, Metallurgical, Nuclear, Petroleum, and Traffic. Structural, Geotechnical and Soils engineers are considered sub specialties of Civil Engineer and have extra requirements for practice.